Did you know that January is National Soup Month? It’s cold, it’s dreary, and everyone is sick. Fitting, as soup can be the perfect antidote to the wintertime blues. This is one of my favorite recipes. It’s full of hearty vegetables and a little fruit, combined with the other ingredients it provides a savory flavor with just a tinge of sweet. And, it is easy and fast with minimal clean up. You can’t beat that!
My Vitamix helps make much of that easy clean up possible. I know, I know. Those suckers are expensive. BUT. You get so much more than just a regular blender. For this recipe (and any other soup you would use a blender for), it not only blends up the goodies, but also heats it at the same time. Leaving you extra time and less dishes. However, if you do not have a Vitamix or do not want to spend the money, an immersion blender or regular blender will work just fine (you may have to divide it though into two different blending batches, as not all ingredients will fit in a regular blender at once).
Check out the recipe below and enjoy this soup-er bowl, then visit us next week as we share some of our favorite SUPER Bowl recipes in preparation for the big game!
- 1 3-4 lb butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 peeled honey crisp apple
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 small onion
- 1-2 T. olive oil (enough to drizzle produce)
- 2-3 c. vegetable broth (this will depend on how thick you want your soup)
- 1/8 t. coriander
- 1/8 t. cinnamon
- 1/8 t. nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- Chopped cashews, toasted, to garnish
- Toasted coconut to garnish
- Creme fraiche or sour cream to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Drizzle butternut squash, apple, carrots, and onion with olive oil and toss. Roast at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned.
3. Add roasted vegetables/frui, broth, and spices to blender. Blend at medium high speed fo 5 minutes, or until completely pureed.
4. Add heavy cream and blend for 1 more minute.
5. Garnish with toasted cashews and coconut flakes, add a dollop of sour cream or cream fraiche (these 3 ingredients look pretty, but they also add texture and impart great flavor when mixed).
6. Enjoy! Makes 6-8 servings.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.